Culling brass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culling brass.

This morning I have been working on a few 200 rnd trays of RA 68 brass that has been reloaded at least 8-10 times and annealed 3 or 4. De-priming with Frankford had tool. These are the steps that I use personally.

1. Check for split necks.
    2. Examine base for extractor grove damage and make sure a berdan case hasn't worked it's way into the batch.
    3. De-prime. Looking for a good snap on the tool indicating good primer pocket. If it's weak it gets tossed into the trash.

Whatta Hobby!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Culling 1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.6 KB ID:	32373 Click image for larger version  Name:	Culling 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.2 KB ID:	32374 Click image for larger version  Name:	Culling 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	192.5 KB ID:	32375
    Last edited by NF1E; 12-29-2021, 06:47 AM.

Never thought of the hand de-priming tool. Might consider getting one.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
      Never thought of the hand de-priming tool. Might consider getting one.
      Best way there is to be " at one" with your brass. I also use a hand priming tool.

Comment

Same here. I went to annealing to save as much brass as possible. Still have spit necks but as I’m a plinker, I don’t pay attention to the number of reloads a cartridge has been through. I just enjoy the reloading process. I really enjoy it when a scoped rifle guy shows up on the range and tries to hit his clay pigeons on the berm and claims his scope is off. Then I take my M1A or Garand and turn them to powder. I have enough supplies to out live my life and somehow have a warm fuzzy feeling I screwing the manufacturer’s high prices. Like you said “what a hobby”.

Comment

Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
          Same here. I went to annealing to save as much brass as possible. Still have spit necks but as I’m a plinker, I don’t pay attention to the number of reloads a cartridge has been through. I just enjoy the reloading process. I really enjoy it when a scoped rifle guy shows up on the range and tries to hit his clay pigeons on the berm and claims his scope is off. Then I take my M1A or Garand and turn them to powder. I have enough supplies to out live my life and somehow have a warm fuzzy feeling I screwing the manufacturer’s high prices. Like you said “what a hobby”.
          Rgr that. I have a couple of lifetimes worth of components on hand and a Son that will be more than happy to get them when my number is called.

Comment

I have no sons to pass it to, but a gun nut nephew. He says he will attend my funeral service, but when everyone turns left for the graveside he is turning right and heading toward my reloading room.

Comment

Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
              I have no sons to pass it to, but a gun nut nephew. He says he will attend my funeral service, but when everyone turns left for the graveside he is turning right and heading toward my reloading room.
              I is heartening to have at least one honest person in the family.

Comment

you might want to consider annealing before sizing unless you have plenty of brass.

Comment

Working...
                X