Mystery solved.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery solved.

For months I have been trying to locate the source of a .127 ball bearing that appeared on my work bench. For any of you that have taken something apart and re-assembled only to find parts left over, you know the feeling I have been having. During that period of time I had worked on a bunch of SAI NM rear sights with the bearings and a few Savage bolt rifles that I took apart the bolts and put them back together. Being sure this freaking bearing came from one of those jobs, I went back over them all to no avail.
    By chance today while loading a few hundred Berger 150 fb bullets I found a duplicate of the mystery bearing in the bottom of the container I dump bullets into for loading. Source turned out to be from one of the 100 rnd Bullet boxes from Berger. I have no idea how they might have found their way into them, but they were sealed when I opened them and dumped into the container which I had just cleaned and dusted this morning so I know it wasn't there earlier. Whatta Hobby!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bearing.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	30436

That's nuts how you can have something as precision as a modern match bullet and get a small ball bearing in the box, but it doesn't surprise me. It's different departments obviously, probably a bunch of them got loose when they were packaging one day. I would bet no matter how clean the factory, they probably have a couple of resident mice too hiding somewhere.
    m14brian

Comment

I am just so glad to have found the source. Just the wondering where it came from was always present and of concern.

Comment

Oh yeah that would drive a guy nuts thinking what came apart and when! Glad you found out.
        m14brian

Comment

Had a very nice reply from Berger explaining that the bearings are used in part of the mfg process and occasionally some make it to packaging.

Comment

Working...
          X