Primers for M1 Garand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primers for M1 Garand?

I just sold a club member 1500 Winchester primers. He really wanted CCI primers as he was under the impression that all primers were too soft except CCI. He was worried about the floating fire pin causing a slam fire. I have fired many thousand rounds thru my Garands without thinking about soft primers. I never has a slam fire. Has this been beaten to death and I just never heard it? Thanks.

The firing pin has a "flag" at the back which engages a bulkhead with a slot towards the rear at the receiver. If everything is is spec, that keeps the firing pin from hitting the primer hard enough to set it off. I use "regular" primers normally for my reloads. All the Garands I've used will cause a very slight dimple on a primer during the violent process of operation.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Over the last 45 years I have used every primer you'll likely encounter. Never had a slam fire in 45 years and thousands of rounds. Primer seating depth is WAAAAAAY more important than who's primer is used.
      Jon

Comment

A few weeks ago I was at the D-Day matches at the TMP range taking a new shooter clinic (new to shooting matches) and after the class we went out to the range for “practice”. During one of the standing to prone match drills I had a “double fire”. I do not know if this was primer related or if I double tapped the trigger in all the excitement.

I am using Federal LR primers and this has not happened before. I have only loaded about 300 rounds of .30-06, 300 rounds of .308win and about 500 .223, so not a large amount to compare to but I am rather anal when it comes to reloading.

Comment

It wasn't the primer. You didn't pull the trigger all the way through and let it reset properly with the sear.
          Jon

Comment

Working...
          X