Garand converted to 7.62 mm questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garand converted to 7.62 mm questions

I have a Garand converted to 7.62. I did a ladder test today using LC ball as a standard. After a lot of failures to eject and failure to load second round I gave up for the day. I couldn’t understand why it will not eat mil spec ammo. The rifle was well lubed and clean. My question is...what to check. I going to tear the rifle down tomorrow to spec the various parts ie. Op rod button, gas cylinder I.d., op rod spring, etc. what areas do you think might be the problem if not everything? Thanks.

What is the size of your gas port? See article below. Whose barrel are you using? What are you using for a gas lock? Adjustable?
    Good luck

Comment

Well, I started with an adjustable gas lock screw and after running out of adjustment I switched to a USGI gas screw. Nothing would cycle the bolt properly. I am unsure where the problem lays. I could swear I’ve shot my reloads through this rifle with no problems. I’ve got a lot of Garands so the memory is foggy. I’ll update when I have more data.

Comment

What you are describing is not enough gas to cycle the rifle properly. The gas port could be undersize, or the gas cylinder could be covering part of it. There could be excess leakage around the piston. Is this the first time you fired the rifle? Did it work before, then you disassembled it removing the gas cylinder, then re-installed it? What propellant (powder) are you using?
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Not the first time to fire as I built it 20 years ago. I am clueless as to why it is failing me now. Hopefully when I tear it down for inspection, something will jump out at me as to the problem. I’ve never had a Garand lay down on me like this. I will of course update. Stay tuned.

Comment

Another cause of short-cycling and malfunctions. Did you thoroughly grease it? I normally do every location, including the ones implied to be optional, as per this webpage:
            Greasing the M1 Garand (garandgear.com)

Comment

Well, I believe I found the problem and other issues. Sometime in the recent past, I changed some wood around on my Garands. I apparently put a short forearm piece of wood on this 7.62. I tore the gun down foe cleaning and greasing/oiling. When reassembling the rifle, I didn’t notice the the gas cylinder didn’t set correctly due to the forearm wood hanging up on the stock ferrule. This somewhat covered the barrel gas hole. I replaced the forearm wood from parts parts in my stash.
              The second issue is the gas hole measured 0.0995. I read the posts above and believe this is large enough as I’ve fired this rifle numerous times with this commercial barrel.
              The last issue is the op rod piston plus the lugs are on their last legs. The gas cylinder on the other hand gauges great.
              Thanks all for your help.

Comment

Glad you found the problem and the solution.

Comment

Now, if I decide to open the barrel gas hole up to 0.106”, is that something one could do in my shop? I work on restoring old cars (pre WW2), and have a lot of tools.
                  Last edited by Beltfed; 05-19-2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

If it was working well before, I'd just make sure it's properly greased and see if it works well enough now. You can get replacement op-rods, and some places replace the piston on it. When you say the lugs are worn, are you talking the lugs on the bolt?

Comment

You should be ok with a .0995 gas port.

Comment

Nope. The lugs on the op rod.

Comment

Working...
                        X