Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading component list

Hello Gentlemen,

I’ve spent some time searching here on this subject but have not found a thread dedicated to this subject. I’m looking for list of exactly what to buy to load my M1. I’ve already set it up with a adjustable gas plug and a Holbrook device.

I’m hesitant to buy a “kit” as I know there will be items that I either won’t need or would want to replace with higher quality items. Like a electronic scale or powder measure vs a beam scale that would come with a kit.

I’d rather spend more upfront and get the “good” tools first instead of buying redundant items.

Am I off base here?

Maybe a bit of a "reality check" is in order (no offense meant). Generally a basic reloading setup (balance beam powder measure etc.) can generate more accurate ammunition than the average shooter can get any advantage from. If you intend to do super-precision benchrest shooting, the Garand is not the platform to use. I use LEE and RCBS dies and equipment, and both work equally well. Suggest you focus on getting a basic lower-cost setup to start, and use the savings for bullets, powder, primers and cases. Use the savings for quantity and shoot and practice a lot more.
    Also note, many folks can barely stay on the paper once they lift the rifle off the bench and shoot from a "field" position (prone, sitting, kneeling and especially standing).
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Hmmm .... thanks for the opine.

Comment

I know what you mean about kits, you often end up with items never used. For myself I use a Lyman turret press with RCBS and Lee dies, a Redding powder measure, a digital scale with a Hornady balance beam backup, (I like the electronic scale but if there is a power loss an analog backup scale is usefull), also I use a Wilson case gauge and a Hornady sonic case cleaner. I really like the sonic cleaner better than the walnut medium vibrating case cleaner. Also, a Hornady case trimmer and for once fired military brass an RCBS primer pocket swager. Oh, I also use a digital caliper to check overall case length. I think that's about it, hope this helps out.

Comment

👍🏻 Thanks 0311/0321!

Comment

Dillon is really the only way to go if you want to reload in volume.

Comment

Working...
            X