Stuck cases! $%#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck cases! $%#

Not a new reloader, but new to reloading rifle on a single stage press. In about 2000 rounds I have had about 10-12 cases get stuck in the die. I use the RCBS stuck case remover but Ive ruined a die and a bunch of decap pins. Im using both aerosol case lube and the wax. Im loading 30-06,,, what am I doing wrong?

Are you using small base resizing die? Is brass swollen at the base? Are you lubing the inside of neck?

Comment

Im using a full length sizing die..the brass is not swollen and I could probably use more lube on the inside.. anything else?

Comment

Did you try a different shell holder? Maybe the shell holder is out of spec and pulling thru the shell rims.

Comment

I've been using castor oil as a case lube. It seems to work better than all the specially formulated lubes.
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Im using the correct size shell holder, but Ill try another.. Ive been lubing the cases more and havent had an issues.. Possibly need more lube.. How do you gauge how much lube to use?

Comment

Throw the aerosol lube in the trash. Use the wax. The LEE case lube works VERY well for the '06. Lube the neck-inside and out, and the body but try not to get any lube on the shoulder unless you like shoulder dents. They pop right out when fired--they just look ugly.
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Benzeen1 View Post
                How do you gauge how much lube to use?
                Since starting reloading in '91, I have uses the evolving RCBS "Case Lube-2" (now) after the first few stuck cases without lube. PITA getting them out of a die, but with the right "extraction tools" it is doable without wonking up stuff. Remember, if we gall it, bash it, crush it, or break it, even ON PURPOSE, RCBS will replace it for FREE (including shipping) with no questions asked. they stand behind their reloading equipment.

To the point, I put a few lines of lube on a lube pad, spread out the lube with a finger over the pad, then put one palm over the pad, and rub my palms together to get the feel of the lube. Too much is too greasy and strictly by feel. Then I roll the cases to be sized between my palms, getting the case bodies, and necks, lubed. I put those in a plastic container. Mine is a round 2.5-gallon ice cream bucket.

I put lube on my fingers and apply it to the faces of a nylon brush of the caliber I am loading and at LEAST one in three cases is pushed down on this brush so as to lube the inside of the neck. This smallish amount of lube prevents the sizing button from getting stuck. I have not had one stuck case since starting this regime. Neither have I experienced ANY pock marked case shoulders.

Comment

LEE is also very good at customer service. I once ruined a 6.5 Jap die. I sent it to LEE and told them what happened and that it was my fault the die was ruined. Even knowing that it wasn't a problem on their end, they sent me a new sizing die on their nickle any way.
                  Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X