Which Dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Dies

Can someone recommend good dies to reload the Garand with?

Actually nearly any decent brand with a full-length sizing die will do. I normally use RCBS, but I also use Hornady New Dimension dies. LEE dies work for many folks; I like their collet neck-sizing dies for manually operated rifles.
    Need to emphasize, cases must be full-length resized for the Garand every time.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
      Need to emphasize, cases must be full-length resized for the Garand every time.
      And DO NOT crimp the case neck--accuracy will seriously suffer.
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post

And DO NOT crimp the case neck--accuracy will seriously suffer.
        Jon
        Perhaps, maybe, sometimes, not always. NEVER use the roll crimping feature in any seating die but using a Lee Factory Crimp die or taper crimp die in some cases can enhance accuracy.

Truthfully I hardly ever crimp. Magnums, tube fed and 1 or 2 of my Wildcats where the neck can spring back again after necking down. I never crimp Garand or Standard bolt gun calibers.

Comment

I don't crimp the neck but I have thousands of once shot cases and replace them regularly. If you don't have a snug fit the bullets can move during recoil.

Comment

I use a standard RCBS 30-06 2 die set.
            I full length size every time.
            I do not crimp my loads.
            I use pickup brass and process them the first time.
            I clean the brass, full length sized, trimmed to length and swage the crimped primer pockets.
            There after they get full length sized, tumble in walnut shells to remove sizing lube, and loaded with M1 recommended loads...dale

Comment

I don't know about accuracy suffering with crimped cases. I've heard arguments both ways but I've never tested it in a Garand. I have a 358 Norma Magnum and a custom bolt 450 Marlin Magnum, both with heavy recoil. The 358 shoots 1 1/8" at 300 yards the 450 is Mauser 98 it has an air guage Shillen barrel, it's a bear gun shooting 500 grain Hornady at 2050 FPS, with iron sights, prints nearly one hole at 50 yards.

I would say if you want to crimp for a Garand you may want to use a collet crimp. Standard seat dies can mildly deform the shoulder if the case size varies slightly causing a problem with the rifle going into battery

Comment

• TJT
                TJT commented
                Editing a comment
                I have tested the crimped v. non-crimped. The groups with the crimp were noticeably larger than those with no crimp. And this was not a 1 clip of each test.
                Jon

I use RCBS for the M1 rifle and carbine. For my Model 70 Target in 30-06 I have used the Vickerman inline seating die. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2242.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	762.1 KB
ID:	23437Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0443.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	23438

Comment

Anyone know what shell holder die to use? Bought a RCBS #17 marked .30 m1 carbine today and it isn’t even close.
                Thanks!
                Last edited by John A; 03-03-2021, 04:06 PM.

Comment

#3 is the one you need.

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

Working...
                    X