H335 for Garand reloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H335 for Garand reloads

Has anyone been using H335 in their Garand?

I have not but any powder that falls between IMR-3031 and IMR-4320 is safe in the M1 as long as you use a safe charge pre bullet weight.

Comment

Powders that fall within the burn rate of powders known to be suitable for an M1 Garand may be safe to use but may not provide reliable function. From what I can see H335 has too slow a burn rate. It's complicated when there is no existing data that recommends a certain powder for use in a Garand. If you decide to experiment do so wisely starting with minimum load working up if the rifle won't function with minimum loads. Being a slow powder I would suggest not going any higher than a mid load from the Hodgdon reloading data for 30-06. Always look for pressure signs as you increase loads. Time to quit if primers start flattening whether the rifle functions or not.

Comment

I use rl15 it is on the burn rate safe for M1 and M14 operating rods. Also great in AR's. Most use it at Camp Perry for match. I load it in 308 with 168 boats tail match. Out of police sniper rifle 1/2" moa. Great in M14F to.

Comment

The big issue with the Garand is the pressure at the gas port. Too low and it'll short cycle, too high and the rifle is damaged. That's why the narrow selection of powders. Also, be careful with off-the-shelf regular hunting ammo. The port pressure will probably be too high. I really suggest you invest in Quickload. It's a big help in working loads that are safe with the rifle.
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
          X