early WW2 anti tank cartridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early WW2 anti tank cartridges

Left to right: 1) standard 7,92x57mm German ball, 7,92x107mm Polish and 7,92x94mm German.

The Polish 7,92x107mm was used in the KB wz 35 bolt action rifle that fired a 7,92mm 245 gr bullet at 4,180 FPS

The German 7,92x94mm was used in the single shot PzB 38 rifle that fired a 7,92mm 225 gr bullet at 4,000 FPS

The Polish 7,92x107mm had good penetration against Panzer I through Panzer III tanks

My photo of the above cartridges Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2524.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	24677

Comment

The one on the right looks crazy, it looks like it would have way higher fps because of the case capacity and size compared to the projectile.
      m14brian

Comment

During WW1, the Germans developed the 13.2x92mm semi rimmed cartridge for their large single shot Mauser anti tank gun. This rifle fired a .535 cal AP bullet (795 grs) at 2575 fps.

During the 1930's German Ordnance decided to neck down their WW1 13.2mm cartridge to 7,92mm and make it rimless. They also designed a falling block single shot rifle to fire the new 7,92x94 cartridge. The Germans also added a tear gas capsule to the bullet. As the bullet penetrated the tank armor the tear gas from the bullet jacket would escape into the tank - this would force the crew to leave the tank. Under actual combat conditions this idea did not work well as the tear gas capsule would leave the bullet jacket as the bullet penetrated the tank and would be left outside.

After Poland surrendered, the Germans pulled the bullets from their 7,92x107 cartridges and reloaded them in their 7,92x94 cartridges as it was a better bullet

I believe the 4,000 fps was as far as either cartridge could be used under combat operations and barrel life was very short in both rifles at this velocity

The Russians also developed a large Mosin Nagant rifle and a anti tank cartridge but never got pass the testing period

Comment

Working...
        X