Privi Garand Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Privi Garand Ammo

I just picked up my first M1 Garand about a month ago and posted in WW2 era discussion board. I found some Privi 30-06 Garand ammo and placed an order. Any recent experience with this in a rifle with original type gas plug. I have an uncut op rod and want to make sure I use proper ammo or get an adjustable gas plug. Thanks for any feedback.

From what I’ve read here, commercial ammo is a no-no in the Garand. I purchased four gas plugs from Schuster Mfg. for other reasons.

Comment

I never used Privi Partizan 150 grain for my garand but other guys I talked to love it since it is specifically made for garands.
      Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
          From what I’ve read here, commercial ammo is a no-no in the Garand. I purchased four gas plugs from Schuster Mfg. for other reasons.
          That is false info...even the CMP says so.

Comment

I’m just saying what I’ve read. I never fire commercial ammo, so don’t worry about it. This is like the ‘chicken and egg’ thing. Some believe it’s ok, others not ok. I guess the decision is up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy2171 View Post

That is false info...even the CMP says so.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Funny Meme 020.gif
Views:	211
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	28487

Comment

Originally posted by Beltfed View Post
                I’m just saying what I’ve read. I never fire commercial ammo, so don’t worry about it. This is like the ‘chicken and egg’ thing. Some believe it’s ok, others not ok. I guess the decision is up to you.
                You shouldn't be afraid of commercial ammo its really not a big deal in a properly greased rifle with good springs in it.

Comment

Bought about 500 of the Privi rounds. Cycles well. No problems so far. Just ordered a new ported gas plug. Will be experimenting. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Originally posted by Captpuck View Post
                    Bought about 500 of the Privi rounds. Cycles well. No problems so far. Just ordered a new ported gas plug. Will be experimenting. I'll keep you updated.
                    Not too late to cancel that order. No reason to buy something you don't need.

Comment

The ammunition used almost exclusively in the Garand from late WWII through Korea and after was M2 AP (armor piercing). This is a fairly hot load driving a 166 grain bullet around 2775 fps at the muzzle. The powder used was 55gr WC852, similar to H414 or WW760; much slower than IMR4895. This in part was probably due to a much higher pressure driving the bullet into the rifling. It was also found that barrels lasted twice as long with M2AP as with M2 Ball, probably from less gas leaking around the bullet.

30-06 “30 CAL M2 AP” Armor Piercing | The Ammo Channel30-06 “30 CAL M2 AP” Armor Piercing | The Ammo Channel
                      Castpics and Reloaders Reference Online - 30-06 Springfield (data for three different lots of WC852

Bottom line is, the Garand can handle fairly hot loads with more powder, with a slower burn rate than IMR4895, and heavier bullets than 150gr.
                      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

The general rule of thumb for commercial M1 fodder is to use bullet weight not to exceed 180 grs.
                        Jon

Comment

The service round in use when the M1 Garand was developed was the M1 round with 172 grain bullet. The M2 round with the 150 grain bullet was developed later.

Comment

Is the Privi Ammo Corrosive?

Comment

Current commercial Privi 30-06 is noncorrosive. Surplus ammo made in former Republic of Yugoslavia is corrosive. An example being the brass case 7.62x39 in wooden cases. Commercial ammo imported by Hanson before the Yugoslavian civil was noncorrosive.

Comment

Working...
                              X