Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What commercial ammo do you use for pistol self defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Milisock
    replied
    In the 45acp Hornady XTP +P+ 230gr @1025 FPS
    In the 9mm Hornady XTP +P+ 124gr @1250 FPS
    In the 38 special Hornady XTP +P+ 125gr @ 1100 FPS
    Commercial Ammo supplied by Daves

Leave a comment:

• Larry G.
    replied
    Federal HST 9 mm 124 grain from SG Ammo.

Leave a comment:

• Benzeen1
    replied
    Federal HST 147 grain +p.,,, performs very well, its also out duty ammo..

Leave a comment:

• m14brian
    replied
    I picked up 200 rounds of Remington Golden Sabre 185gr +P for self defense purposes, so I wouldn't have to break into one of the cases.
    m14brian

Leave a comment:

• Mgv744
    replied
    Any 45 a.c.p. 230 ball load,been turning bad guys into fertilizer since 1911. That is what made the 1911 for over 100 years a known self defense round. In other rounds a good H.P. like the 9mm.

Leave a comment:

• Reconinforce
    replied
    Been using 124grn 9mm JHP from Academy. Monarch brand which I believe is made by PPU for them.

Brass cases hollow points for $15.99/50 rounds... No brainer. Now on sale for $12.99/50. Can get free ship too... Wow.

Fired a few hundred through my defense guns and not a single issue.

Leave a comment:

• Turkeyneck
    replied
    Winchester Ranger RA9B 147 gr JHP in 9mm.
    This was my duty load when I was a LEO and I still carry it, mostly in a S&W Shield these days.

Leave a comment:

• m14brian
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil McGrath View Post

They were never banned, Winchester pulled them under public pressure.
    Thanks for clarifying, I never knew that. That sucks though.
    m14brian

Leave a comment:

• Phil McGrath
    replied
    Originally posted by m14brian View Post
    Wow, the original Black Talon and the 6 point Ranger-T like I have are super close in appearance except for the coating. Thanks for posting those pics. I've never even seen any, those were banned a long time ago and never had a chance to get any.
    m14brian

They were never banned, Winchester pulled them under public pressure. The BT was there first 100% expander under any conditions. The Ranger is a better penetrator before it starts too do its job, where the BT is known too expand early because the shallow HP fills with debris and starts opening. I have fired a few BT over the years into soggy wet phone books and they have always expanded too .90+ caliber every time and have retained 100% weight retention not once did they get more than a 1/3 of the way through.

If you get the chance when you get both of them side by side you see how different they really are, and I'm not talking about the coating.

Leave a comment:

• m14brian
    replied
    Originally posted by Srgt. Hulka View Post
    I have Hornady Critical Defense in mine.
    I haven't seen any of this either, is it a pretty aggressive hollowpoint? +P?
    m14brian

Leave a comment:

• m14brian
    replied
    Wow, the original Black Talon and the 6 point Ranger-T like I have are super close in appearance except for the coating. Thanks for posting those pics. I've never even seen any, those were banned a long time ago and never had a chance to get any.
    m14brian

Leave a comment:

• Srgt. Hulka
    replied
    I have Hornady Critical Defense in mine.

Leave a comment:

• Phil McGrath
    replied
    Ok one more time with my not so skill picture taking abilities.

Number#1 is a BT #2 is BT and BO side by side and #3 in BO. Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment (8).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1850 Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment (9).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	1851 Click image for larger version

Name:	GetAttachment (10).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	1852

Leave a comment:

• Phil McGrath
    replied
    The three are very different bullets, beside the coating the Black Talon has a wider cavity and its not as deep compared too the others. The Ranger LE is smaller and deeper this was done too control bullet expansion, ie the Ranger LE didn't start too expand early like the BT was prone too do when the cavity filled with material from denim or a multi layers of clothing.

HPR's Black Ops is a totally different animal!!!!!!!

I will post pic's when my phone gets with the program?

Leave a comment:

• m14brian
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil McGrath View Post
    I've been a Winchester Black Talon owner/user for a long time
    That's cool! I was told what I have is the closest thing to Black Talon, the newest generation but without the coating, if you will. Do they look the same? Post up some of that stuff, I gotta see it.
    m14brian

Leave a comment:

Working...
X